Thursday, June 26, 2008

Farewell to a friend ...

Yesterday I got up early, showered, kissed my wife, put in a day at the office, met my family at the in-laws for dinner, wrestled with my 2 boys, and planned a vacation with my wife.

Yesterday, my friend from college, long suffering from a brain tumor, went home to be with the the Lord.

Joy in Texas. Sorrow in Ohio.

But when I say he went home to be with the Lord, I really do know he received his inheritance. Dave Gartrell spent the last few years of his life witnessing the Word to the world. Our brief friendship in a fraternity seemed meaningless as I watched him share his life, pain, and faith through it all.

Although we hadn't seen each other in years, I watched in awe as he stood strong, rejecting passivity, and caring for his family through the bitter end. He is in a wonderful place and is healed ... praise Jehovah-rapha.

I ask that anyone who reads this blog pray for his wife Sarah and their 2 daughters who have to continue life on this earth without him.

As the men met this morning, I could not describe how fortunate and diverse our existence is in this little, quiet, lake community. We had Kevin, Billy, Robert, Dave and myself sharing our lives and ministries while joking and being anecdotal. A printer, a president, a supervisor, a coach, and a manager. Reconciling, empathizing, preparing, sacrificing, and enduring. Selfish, ashamed, anxious, busy, and ... well, wicked selfish.

It's all amazing yet fleeting. We're food for worms lads so seize the Truth, spread the Word, and live for your inheritance ... Peace.

"Leadership is not a title."
~ Robert Lewis

No comments: