Monday, August 25, 2008

Where Pregnant Acrobats & Undercooked Brats Collide

Absolute truth is a tough pill to swallow. But the rules are simple and easy to find. I find joy in being surrounded by truth seekers. The journey is challenging and we have the world to contend with ... whether we're ready or not!

As my neighbor fired up his own grill and peeked over the fence on Saturday, he may have witnessed just another backyard barbecue. Until I get a chance to share with him again, he will never know the true nature of our gathering.

Emotional physics.

A fantastic term brought to us by the Men's Fraternity. The laws of emotional physics were at large this weekend in the quiet little town of Fate. ABFers from all over descended on our backyard. Cheeseburgers became catalysts of good will. Badminton foretold the collaboration of a generation of men. And the mighty Wii measured our will to assert ourselves!

Emotional physics 101, folks. I started with a pile of raw meat on the grill and walked back into a house teeming with a spread of toppings, desserts, side dishes, snacks, and drinks. Infants were cared for. Stories were told. Quelf was played. Our resident triathlete even caught a nap amidst the chaos.

I won't prattle too much about it ... however, I want to bring to light one amazing story from that party. Nicole Clifton, wife of Woodcreek fantasy football expert, Justin, is just a few weeks away from delivering their first child. An anomaly with her placenta (Placenta abruptio?) causes her severe abdominal pain. Despite the setback, this woman was strolling through the mob of ABFers with a smile on her face that would indicate nothing less of a carefree socialite.

That's what I call "an invested, self-less, team member."

After this weekend's lesson, I thought I might fly off the handle and give my thesis on agnosticism. My posts are really void of any reasonable opinions so I canned the idea. So what did I learn? You can examine the recap at http://gravesabf.blogspot.com/. While so many great testimonies were shared, I thought of one who didn't speak.

When we finally dug into the scriptures, I brushed by Romans 1:16.

16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

or

Eric Gebhardt quietly reading his bible, over lunch, in plain view of the world.

These are our friends ABFers! There are countless more examples. Aren't you excited? We're going places and contending the whole way. We're making an impact. And these little gatherings that look like any other backyard barbecue? Don't be fooled - they are training exercises in preparation for caring outside of the backyard.

So I don't have to conclude ineptly, let me brag on another fellow ABFer's accomplishments this weekend. Good 'ol Billy Boy brought home the Tri The Rock Triathlon 10th overall and 4th in his age group. Too fast for me to make it to the end of Fate Main as he zipped by on his Orbea. Not to mention a personal best in swimming which put him only 20 seconds behind SMU's 2006 swim captain.

For details, click on the previous post or go to http://tri-prosoap.blogspot.com.

Unrelated Transom LinksHow we are viewed by Agnostics (pictorially):

No comments: