Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Biggest Seven Game Comebacks

So my Stars are in a deep hole against a Red Wings team that can seemingly score at will. All hockey knowledge aside, I am just the 13 year-old kid that remembers Mikey Mo getting drafted #1 and desperately watching my team try to get to Lord Stanley's Final.

OK - so hockey superstition rules and this is how I see it (which never works out but I don't care):

Besides the Boston RoidSox, only 2 other professional teams have come back to win a seven game series after being skunked 3-0. They are both NHL teams:

In 1942, the Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Detroit Red Wings after being down 3-0 in the Stanley Cup Final!

In 1975, the New York Islanders manhandled the Pittsburgh Penguins after being down 3-0 in the Quarter-Finals.

There are 33 years separating those 2 come backs. There are 33 years separating 2008 from the last comeback. Is it in the ... Stars ... for the next NHL 3-0 comeback?

I'll be watching Wednesday to find out. Either way, what a great season! This team will only get better. Next stop ... Pittsburgh!

j

No comments: