Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Without Jesus we'd all be Ukranian.

When you feel like crying ... do you feel a piercing pain in your fingers?

Now that I don't have your attention (see Angie Smith's blog for well written, purposeful prose), I would like to share some wisdom from the Word that was just revelaed to me last night:

Titus 2:4-5 (New International Version)

4 Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

Now before anyone freaks out, I'm not going down the male shovanistic route - OK? What is revealed here is a description of a Godly woman as a Servant-Lover. If we men were built to be Servant-Leaders, than this certainly makes a lot of sense. More interesting is the company that women are placed in when described as Servant-Helpers. There are only 4 people in the Bible mentioned as Helpers ...
  • God the Father
  • God the Son
  • God the Holy Spirit
  • and Woman
Noodle on that the next time you look at your wife, girlfriend, mother, etc. Moving forward, I'd like to share a personal story.

I have psoriatic arthritis. There have been rare moments over the past 7 years that I've felt comfortable saying that. Recently, I've been getting more confident in sharing the disease. It just sounds fake, doesn't it? So allow me to explain ...

I am not a talented writer or expert in loss and pain (again - see Angie Smith's blog for literary power in laying your life down.) Psoriatic arthritis is similar to rheumatoid arthritis in that that treatments and effects on the body are related. However, PA is an extension of psoriasis, the better known skin disease that has been historically and erroneously treated as a dermatological disorder. That topic is for another day (psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder.)

As the arthristis started to take over my joints, a rush of worry polluted my thoughts for several years. More and more inflamation, increased pain, and less physical activity led to an overall feeling of being less of a man. Eventually, I could not hold my children, button my shirts, or even have confidence that I would stand up after getting out of bed.

My wife, Elizabeth, and I delt with this alone for several years, continuing our rapid pace of life, hoping God would just swoop in and heal me. When we heard the wonderful news that she was pregnant with our third child, we decided that I needed to take some action.

To shorten the story, I had become an expert on psoriasis over the years and knew of only one possibility. We scheduled an appointment with a rheumatologist to discuss the options for biologics to supress my immune system, essentially "sponging" up the extra cells that my body repidly produces. I went to the teaching hospital, University of North Texas Health Science Center, in Fort Worth and asked every question I could conjure. The doctor was patient with me and after much prayer and diliberation, I chose Enbrel as my biologic.

Combined with methotrexate and a folic acid balancer, I not only was redeemed from a cripling disease, but my skin went from 80% covered in psoriasis to less than 1% ... in 3 weeks. Praise Jehovah-rapha, right? You betcha.

But every so often, He reminds me that this disease is just supressed. I still have psoriasis and PA. It is a blessing. And I'll tell you why ... when I am confronted with other people's pain or suffering, I can feel it in my fingers. A piercing pain will shoot through my digits allowing me to shift to an empathatic mode or in some cases act on what God wants me to do.

OK - so I proabably just lost anyone because of how crazy that sounds. I can assure you it is neither crazy or even sensational. Everyone has this gift. You may not feel it in your digits but you do have the ability to see people through Jesus' eyes and apply this in ministry to God, the Church, and the World.

Boxtown is my ministry - "Feeding the Hungry One Soul at a Time." It has been since Christmas of 2002. I'm reorganizing this effort. I'm scheduling it. Scheduling is something that I used to steer clear from. But if there is one thing I've learned from my buddy's triathlon team (Tri-Prosoap) is that you must train. In ministry, we must train our hearts. So get ready. An email will be broadcast with the details on what happens during a trip to Boxtown. If you don't get that email, my Google Calendar will be updated and open for folks to join the guest list.

To conclude, here is a note from our former ABF leader with his thoughts on the Boxtown ministry:

One of the things that has always drawn me to Jesus was the fact that he genuinely loved those who were considered by society to be worthless, filthy and low. When asked why he was spending so much time amidst the "unclean", he responded that it wasn't those who were healthy that needed a doctor, but those who were sick. In essence, Jesus came to minister specifically to those who lived in the "bad" parts of town, the forgotten and overlooked parts of town, the parts of town that we wish would just go away or simply did not exist. Jesus reached down into the gutter, healed the sick, spoke the truth in love and, in doing so, painted a beautiful image of what the transformative power of God's love in our lives can look like.

When we entered into the shadows of the looming overpass that is Boxtown at midnight armed with little more than clothes, a large bag of hamburgers and loads of bottled water, we had no idea what we would encounter. Guns, knives, drugs; anything was possible. We didn't bring any Bibles. We didn't bring any tracts. All we brought was a desire to see the light and love of Jesus penetrate a place as dark and hopeless as this. The mere fact that we had ventured from wherever we came from just to do this seemed mind-boggling to the people we met. When they asked why we were giving away clothes, food and water, we told them it was because of Jesus: because he loved us, now we love you. That was it. Plain and simple. Some thought it remarkable; others didn't care. Many were just happy for what we had brought with us. Some, however, were truly intrigued by this rag-tag group of young men willing to enter their world just to show them some love.

We had chances to share about our lives and so did they. We even prayed with a few of them; for their health, for their families they no longer saw, that God would speak to them again. Mostly, we just loved them and listened. I left that place that night feeling like I had walked in that narrow way that Jesus talked about. You know, the one that few will ever find? I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to watch God work as we stepped out in faith; to take part in Jesus' ministry. I pray that you might consider doing the same.

You will be changed.

Peace, grace and truth,

Charles

No comments: