Thursday, September 4, 2008

Even Jason Bonham has a cheesy side.

How Foreigner talked Jason Bonham into drumming for them on a Def Leppard and Styx 2007 reunion tour is beyond comprehension. The conversation must have a gone a little like this:

Mick Jones: "Hey Jason, we're kicking off an old guy tour to promote our latest compilation box set titled 'Foreigner - The Colby Jack Years - 3 Decades of Chart Topping Cheese'. Would you be our drummer?"

Bonham: "Can we do some Zep covers?"

Mick: "Ummm ... sure."

Rock 'n roll history.

Anyhoo, I'm a Dirty White Boy and I wanna know what love is! So I posed 2 questions to my buddy, Eric. I've been on an epic quest the past few years, soliciting these queries to all varieties of men. I've obtained everything from blank stares to book recommendations. Eric was able to conclude so simply and matter-of-fact-ly that there could only be 2 possibilities why it hasn't made sense to me yet:
  • I'm entirely too obtuse to have appreciated others wisdom.
  • All the other men I've asked really haven't mastered the skills to give a pragmatic answer.
This may appear cheesy ... and my wife might be wondering when I'm going to get off my back-side and apply this in our lives ... but it would be irresponsible of me not to share this with any man that graces the posts here.

(Quoted verbatim from Mr Gebhardt with his explicit approval ...)

how to beat a slump - time away from kids talking through stuff with wife. slumps are typically caused by wives feeling that their emotional relationship with their spouse is troubled, or clouded by lack of time for clear communication of concerns.

how to lead a wife in prayer - lay her down. pet her hair. close your eyes. speak to God about the ways each of your family members is blessed. thank Him specifically for the ways he has blessed each of you. thank God for you wife last. her heart will open. kiss her.

Thanks Eric for your practical wisdom. It's obvious you have done this and found what works. I think the key for any other man trying is the following:
  1. Create the time for you and your lovely to consistently "air the dirty laundry."
  2. Recognize the times of comfort you share with your wife.
  3. Follow through by using that comfort time to advance your marriage.
Easy rules - challenging to endure. On with the madness!

No comments: