Thursday, September 18, 2008

What's the "G" stand for?

I grew up in the north east. Yes ... I'm a Yank. When I first heard someone refer to G-town, my initial thoughts brought me to Georgetown (D.C.) I forgot that I live in another country now. In Texas, that means Galveston.

For the 3rd time on the blog known as My Life In Rockwall, TX, I am dedicating a post to this lovely little pirate town. I've grown close to this little community over the past year ... it's a distance relationship but one of great endearment.

Between links with the sailing community, friends with school ties, and my own vacation, the historical significance, modern offerings, and shear beauty of this little island off the coast has rekindled a geographical pull on my spirit that only one other place in the world has rendered.

I think most of Texas, and quite possibly the nation, have tuned into Ike's destruction over the past week. There is little more to say on the subject. But I thought to share some images from the wreckage that hits home ... Clint and Chandler Rainey, family of our fellow ABFers, have been so good to share their experiences while they piece their physical home, professional, and educational lives back together.

Let me bring your attention to a small peak at the Rainey's downtown home - yes, the picture above shows the flood line that is about 4-5 feet deep. Below you will see that someone from the Texas A&M alumni department needs to ship out a new diploma.

Fortunately, Billy & Katie Self (Billy is Chandler's brother) has informed me of all the physical needs that are being covered. Action has been taken on the Rainey's situation as well as all over the island.

Even so, as it will be weeks before power is restored on the island, I call us all to commit the Rainey's (and all those hit by Ike) to prayer until full relief has been delivered. Will you join me?

Matthew 18:19-20

19 "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Also, please read the fine journalism from Clint, published by Newsweek with 3 other authors. This fella went into the trenches with gas and rope to get the inside story.

This Thing Is Huge
http://www.newsweek.com/id/158675

A public Facebook album with all the pictures can be viewed at:
http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2591005&l=198ce&id=8317884

Leave them a note of encouragement. Peace.

1 comment:

Chandler said...

Thanks Jerry! Just to update you, Clint & I are headed to the island tomorrow for the 2nd time since the hurricane hit. We will be wearing surgical masks to protect our lungs from mold spores, kitchen gloves to protect our skin from virulent bacteria covering our belongings and long pants and long sleeve shirts to protect from us from the mosquitos!

Thank you so much for praying for us and encouraging us!! We'll keep ya updated!